Spiritual Gift Assessment and List
Five Truths about Spiritual Gifts
- ¨ Gifts fulfill the Great Commission: Spiritual Gifts are ministry abilities given by Jesus Christ to God’s people to accomplish God’s missionary work on Earth
Eph 4:7-13 reveals this amazing truth that after Christ ascended back into Heaven, He poured down this gifts upon His Church.
- ¨ Gifts are given to every Christian through the indwelling Holy Spirit: Spiritual Gifts flow through us through the indwelling Holy Spirit. Because every true Christian has the Holy Spirit within, every Christ-follower can operate in Spiritual Gifts.
- ¨ Gifts are always on loan from Christ and flow from being in relationship with Christ: Spiritual Gifts are just like our righteousness, they are gifts that flow out of being in relationship with Christ. If that relationship ends, so does any righteousness or spiritual gifts. We never possess a gift, it is always a borrowed gift from Christ on loan to accomplish a particular ministry.
- ¨ Gifts are both temporarily given to us and more resident within us according to calling: We have callings to ministry that last a “season” (i.e. weeks, months, a few years). And we usually have life callings that last for many years, sometimes all our lives. Some Spiritual Gifts are spontaneously given to us by Christ according to the need of the movement or season. Some are more resident within us according to our callings in a given season or lifetime. These “resident” gifts tend to compliment “natural” talents to foster a life calling.
- ¨ Gifts are discerned and developed through use: We operate in these spontaneous gifts by stepping out in faithful obedience to a serve a need presented to us, and Christ gifts us accordingly. We operate in the resident gifts by discerning how Christ is gifting us in a given season, and then developing those gifts through practice and use.
Discerning Christ’s Gifts to Serve
The best way to discern what Spiritual Gifts Christ is gracing you with is simply to start serving wherever there is a need you can help meet. As you serve, two things will happen. One, Christ will grace you with whatever gift is needed for that ministry.
Two, you will discern though degree or lack of fruitfulness, and the input of others, what gifts Christ has imparted to you that are more resident to a longer calling.
“SHAPE” Spiritual Gift Assessment
- Spiritual Gifts – A set of special abilities that God has give to you to share his love and serve others.
- Heart – The special passions God has given you so that you can glorify him on earth.
- Abilities – The set of talents that God gave you when you were born, which he also wants you to use to make an impact for him.
- Personality – The special way God wired you to navigate life and fulfill your unique Kingdom Purpose.
- Experiences – Those parts of your past, both positive and painful, which God intends to use in great ways.
Identifying Christ’s Gifts to Serve
The Bible lists about 28 Spiritual Gifts. They present broad enough categories to allow many variations of a particular gift.
A. Romans 12:3-8 Mentions The Following Spiritual Gifts:
- Word of Wisdom
- Word of Knowledge
- Gifts of Healing
- Discerning of Spirits
- Interpretation of Tongues
D. Other Spiritual Gifts (Not Listed Above):
- Celibacy (1 Cor. 7:7)
- Hospitality (1 Peter 4:9,10)
- Voluntary Poverty (1 Cor. 13:3)
- Martyrdom (1 Cor. 13:3)
- Interpreting Dreams (Joseph & Daniel)
- Physical Strength (Judges 14:5,6)
- Craftsmanship (Exodus 35:30-36:2)
- Music (1 Chron. 16:41,42; 2 Chron. 5:12,13; 34:12)